Union Cemetery is a beautiful, serene place on the outskirts of Humboldt.  It has a blend of generations of citizens, from the earliest settlers of the area to today's loved ones.  It is a great place to explore and visit, recalling the lives of those that have come before us.


Union Cemetery


6:00 AM - 9:00 PM

Lot Purchase
Lots may be purchased through the City of Humboldt. Please contact the City Clerk's Office at 332-3435 to schedule an appointment to purchase cemetery lots. Lots are sold as follows: ½ lot (3 spaces) = $375.00, full lot (6 spaces) = $750.00.

Monument Placement
A permit must be obtained from the City Clerk's office for the placement of all monuments prior to the placement. A fee of $2 is required for the permit. The Parks Superintendent must approve the placement of Veteran markers.

Decoration Policy
Fresh flowers or artificial seasonal bouquets will be allowed only in permanent vases or wrought iron stands. Decorations will be removed at any time if they become unsightly or deteriorated.

Memorial Day Policy
Decoration policy stated above temporarily suspended from May 15th through June 15th.

Prohibited Practices
The use of wire for attaching memorials is prohibited. Jars, glass or tin containers, cans and other inappropriate objects are not allowed at any time and will be removed by the Cemetery staff. No planting or digging on graves is allowed. Foot stones or other like markers on graves are not allowed.

Click on the icon below to see a map of the cemetery.

The map on the left is the older part of the cemetery, the one on the right is the expansion map.

 Union Cemetery Map                                                                  Union Cemetery Expansion


Click on the icon below to see a list of the people buried in Union Cemetery, and where they are located.

Due to the size of the document, you may want to use the find function to search for your specific information.  Once the PDF opens, hold down the CTRL key and press F. This will bring up a box that you can type in your keyword.  The list to the left is sorted by location in the cemetery, the list to the right is sorted by last name of deceased.


 Cemetery Master List        Cemetery Master List
Sorted by Location in Cemetery
(Updated 08/09/16)
       Sorted by Last Name of Deceased
(Updated 08/09/16)



Civil War Memorial  Union Cemetery Entrance 



History of Union Cemetery

The land for Union Cemetery was originally donated by Walter Thomas, a man that was “proving up” the land where Union Cemetery is now located in the 1860’s.  Proving up is the process of claiming land according to the Homestead Act of 1862. Abraham Lincoln decreed a settler could claim up to 160 acres of land in exchange for farming/improving the land for 5 years.

Walter’s grandson David Thomas came in a covered wagon with his wife Mary and little son Walter to settle near the elder Walter Thomas’ farm ten years before the Reverend S.H. Taft brought his colony to found the town of Humboldt in 1863.  They had only been here a few years before Mary and a baby daughter were laid to rest in a corner of Walter’s farm, which is now the old part (east part) of the cemetery.

The first recorded burial in what is now Union Cemetery was that of George Elithorpe, an early Rutland township settler who located on section 29 of Rutland Township in 1860.  He died on November 1, 1862.  At the time of his death, there was no graveyard in the county, and Walter Thomas donated 2 acres at the corner of his farm for the cemetery.  Mr. Elithorpe’s stone is also in the east part of the cemetery.

If George Elithorpe was the first burial, the first death in the township was of Mrs. James Hinton who drowned in the river in the spring of 1862.  Her body was not found until the following winter, and she was buried at that time.

In 1869, the formal Cemetery Association was organized for the care of the cemetery.  The two acre cemetery was enlarged to fourteen acres in 1882.

The Civil War Monument (pictured above) was erected by the Grand Army of the Republic in 1885 to honor Civil War veterans living in the area.  It is made of white bronze and is 36 feet from the top of the soldier’s cap to the ground.  There are 167 names listed on the monument, and of those, 116 are buried in Union Cemetery. 

The stone pillars at the entrance of the cemetery (also pictured above) are made from stone taken from the old Humboldt College that was demolished in approximately 1926.

In more recent years, the cemetery size was increased to today’s total of 25 acres in the bicentennial year of 1976.  In June of 1995 the City of Humboldt took over the care of the cemetery from the Cemetery Association. 


 (Special thanks to Pat Baker for the historical information on Union Cemetery!)