Frequently Asked Questions 
 Click on a category below to quickly scan to that group of questions and answers.


Service Providers  Utilities Questions  Yard Waste/Junk   Recycling
 Building Permits  Vehicles/Parking  Garbage Pickup  Miscellaneous


Service Providers 

I am moving to town. Who do I contact for water, gas, electric, cable TV, telephone and Internet service?

The City of Humboldt provides water, sewer, landfill and garbage for all residential customers. Call (515) 332-3435 to connect water and sign up for these services. MidAmerican Energy provides gas and electric service at (888) 427-5632.


Cable Television
 Is provided by Mediacom at (800) 622-6022.  Goldfield Access is adding cable services to Humboldt, call (888) 825-3996 to check availability.

Phone service providers
In Humboldt include Century Link (800) 244-1111; or Goldfield Access Networks at (888) 825-3996.


Internet service providers
 Century Link (866) 904-1817; Mediacom (877) 606-5629; Northwest Communications at (800) 249-5251; Goldfield Access Network at 604-1234; Frontier at (855)-805-6320; HughesNet at (877) 306-3983; DishNet at (888) 865-5620 

 Also check out the City's New Resident page found on this website as well!


Utilities Questions 

 Do I have to pay a deposit prior to getting water service to my house?
Renters are required to pay a deposit for water and sewer service.  Contact City Hall to find out the amount. No letters of credit are accepted. If you pay on time for 12 consecutive months, with no penalties, your deposit will be refunded to you in full.
I am going away for the winter. Does the City offer a "winter rate" for my utility bill?
The City does not offer a "winter rate", but you do have two options. The first is to leave your water on while you are gone and pay a minimum monthly bill of $41.15. The other option is to have the City of Humboldt water department shut off your water at the curb. There is no cost to have your water shut off or turned back on. If you do this, you will only be billed $6.50 per month for landfill.  Just remember that someone needs to be at the residence to check for leaks when we turn the water back on.

 Why do I get billed for landfill even if my water is shut off, or if I do not have water service to my house/building?

The North Central Iowa Regional Solid Waste Agency assesses the City of Humboldt a landfill assessment for each residence/building in Humboldt, regardless of water connection. This assessment is being passed on to each residence and business within the City limits.

My City of Humboldt utility bill is higher than usual. Do I have a water leak?
Water meters are read each month and amounts due vary monthly depending on usage. One way to check for leaks yourself is checking your toilets. Toilets can leak without making any noise and can run a lot of water through without you even noticing it. Put some blue or green food coloring in the tank of each of your toilets and wait 30-45 minutes. If the coloring has come down into the bowl, you have a leak and need to have a plumber repair the tank at once to avoid higher usage.

Another way to check for leaks is to read your meter prior to going to bed at night. Then do not use any water during the night and read your meter when you get up in the morning. The meter reading should be the same. If it has changed, you have something running water and need a plumber to check it out.

Usage during the summer usually goes up as well, due to lawn and garden watering, washing cars and other miscellaneous activities performed throughout the season. Usage will also go up if you have any extra persons in your household for a period of time.
I have water coming up through the drains in my basement. What do I do?
PeopleService operates and maintains the sanitary sewer system in the City of Humboldt. Call 332-3435 or (888) 861-1921 (after business hours) for any sanitary sewer problems.


Yard Waste/Junk 

 What is the burning policy of the City of Humboldt?
There is no burning of garbage allowed. The disposal by open burning of landscape waste originating on the premises shall be allowed on one Saturday in March or April, with the date set by the City Council, on the third Saturday in October and the first and third Saturdays in November between the hours of 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM. Burning shall not be allowed in the paved or surfaced portion of any public right-of-way except the private driveway. Recreational fires are allowed provided they comply with the limits for emission of visible air contaminants established by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources

How do I get rid of my yard waste if I don't want to burn it?
The City of Humboldt has compost bags (clear bags) that can be purchased at Hy-Vee, Fareway, or the City Clerk's Office to be collected at the curb. Cost of the bags is $6 for 10 bags. Bags are collected each Friday during the spring and fall seasons if they are placed at your curbside by 6:00 AM that day.

The City of Humboldt also has a dumping site for disposal of compost items, leaves and grass clippings. It is located at the Humboldt Municipal Airport, enter from the north side - there is an entrance on 22nd Street North off 16th Ave North. Click HERE to see a map.  It is open in the spring from April 15th every day from 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM until the snow flies (or November 15th). There is no cost to take items to the compost site.

There is also a dumping site for brush and branches with trunks less than 6" in diameter and 7 feet in length. You may take those to the Street Department Maintenance Shed at 1001 Lewis Street at any time.

How do I get rid of junk (like old furniture)?

The City of Humboldt has clean-up days each year in late April or early May. This is only for large items that won't fit in a garbage bag.  The City will only collect appliances or electronics with a $10 tag purchased at the City Office.  These items are recycled. If you have such items at other times, contact Ely Iron and Metal in Fort Dodge at (515) 573-5904 or Frank's Auto Salvage in Fort Dodge at (515) 955-4477. As of July 1, 2014, the Fort Dodge Landfill no longer has a free pass per year for Humboldt residents.  The cost is $35.00 per ton, with a $25.00 minimum per load. The North Central Iowa Regional Solid Waste Agency, (800) 582-4379, is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM and on Saturdays from 7:00 AM - 12:00 noon.
Click HERE to see a brochure about Humboldt's Yard Waste & Compost policies.


What can I put in my recycling bin?
Click HERE to see a list of what can be placed in your recycling bin.
What should I do with my recycling bin if I am moving out of my house?
Leave your recycling bin at your house for the next resident's use.
My recycling bin blew away in the strong wind. How can I get another one?
If your bin blows away, go to the City Clerk's Office at 29 5th Street South to obtain another one.

I don't have enough room for my recycling items in my bin.  Can I have two?
The City provides one green recycling bin per residence.  If you need more room for your recycling, feel free to provide your own additional container.

There were some items left in my recycling bin this week.  What do I do with them?
The sanitation staff will leave items that are not acceptable for recycling in your bin (if you have any). Please throw these items away in your trash.  Please refrain from putting any of these items in the blue recycling trailers or at the recycling center.


Building Permits 

 I am going to build a fence. Do I need a building permit?
Yes, fences require a building permit, as does any other structure being built on your property. Building permit applications can be obtained through this website by clicking here, or are also available at the City Clerk's office. Applications must be delivered with the permit fee to the City Clerk's office once completed to be verified and have a building permit issued.  This process can take up to a week, so plan ahead.
I'm going to be digging in my yard. Should I call someone before I dig?
You should contact Iowa One Call 48 hours before you dig at (800) 292-8989. As a free service to you, they will locate all power lines and buried cables.



 Can I park my car on the street all night?
No person except physicians or other persons on emergency calls shall park any vehicle on any street between the hours of three o'clock (3:00) AM and seven o'clock (7:00) AM of any date during the months of December, January, February and March.

Can I park my car in my yard?
No motorized vehicle, boat, motor home, travel trailer, other trailer, camper, recreational vehicle or semi-tractor of any kind shall be parked in a required front yard or side yard of any lot, except on a hard surface with direct connection to a public street.
Also, automotive vehicles or trailers of any kind that are inoperable or that do not have current license plates shall not be parked or stored anywhere on a lot other than in a completely enclosed building.
And, no agricultural machinery, semi trailer, commercial trailer or other vehicle exceeding forty (40) feet in length shall be parked or stored in any residential district, except emergency vehicles or moving vans.
Please see Chapter 69.13 of the City Code for more information.
Where can I pay the ticket I received for parking on the street between 3:00 AM and 7:00 AM?
You can pay all City parking tickets at the Humboldt Law Enforcement Center at 430 Sumner Avenue at any time or at the Humboldt City Clerk's Office at 29 5th Street South between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. All other traffic tickets should be paid at the District Clerk of Court's Office in the Humboldt County Courthouse. Hours for the Clerk of Court's Office are: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 – 4:30 p.m.(closed from noon to 1:00 p.m.); Tuesday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. (closed from noon to 1:00 p.m.)
Where do I go to register my motor vehicle?
Motor vehicles, trailers, etc. may be registered at the Humboldt County Treasurer's Office in the Humboldt County Courthouse, located on Main Street in Dakota City. You may contact them at (515) 332-1681.


Miscellaneous Questions 
My dog/cat is missing. How can I find out if it's in the City of Humboldt animal pound?
Contact the Humboldt Law Enforcement Center at 332-2600 to inquire about animals in the pound. If your animal is in the pound, a $50 fee needs to be paid at the City Clerk's office prior to your animal being released.  You can also pay that fee on the City's Online Bill Pay. Click HERE.

 What is the phone number to the Humboldt Family Aquatic Center?
The Aquatic Center's phone number is (515) 332-7140.

 What are the City of Humboldt park hours?
All City Parks are open 6:00 AM – 10:00 PM, Year round

 Where do I get a marriage license?
Marriage licenses are issued at the Humboldt County Recorder's Office in the Humboldt County Courthouse, located on Main Street in Dakota City. You may contact them at (515) 332-3693.

 Where do I get a copy of my birth certificate?
Birth certificates may be obtained at the Humboldt County Recorder's Office in the Humboldt County Courthouse, located on Main Street in Dakota City. You may contact them at (515) 332-3693.

 How do I register to vote?
Voters may register at the Auditor's Office in the Humboldt County Courthouse, located on Main Street in Dakota City. You may contact them at (515) 332-1571.

 What is the population of Humboldt? Humboldt County?
According to the 2010 Census, the City of Humboldt's population is 4,690. Humboldt County's population is 9,815. 
Click HERE to see some more facts about Humboldt.